First school project of the year came home on Tuesday night. A project in the form of a monkey named Toby. The instructions were to take him on trips, feed him, write about your fun times with him to share in his memory book.
So what do you do with a monkey on a school night? Go to Perkins of course! But really, it is the only place our kids do relatively well eating out unless it is McDs. So off for chocolate chip pancakes we went.
Toby colored.
Toby got strapped into the carseat for the ride.
More fun was had at home, learning to play instruments. Learning how to make the perfect "rock" face.
Getting the kazoo melody to be just right.
Getting the notes just right on the harmonica.
Getting the beats on the drums.
Toby gets to go back to school tomorrow, onto the next classmate. I like the idea, I appreciate the opportunity. I just wish Owen was able to "get it". To be able to do the project with him and not really for him. He participated only because I had a camera and I asked him to play some instruments. I came up with all the ideas and staged the silly monkey in all the right positions. Owen didn't want much to do with him. It is one of those things that I never really realized would be something to struggle with. To want your child to be able to do the school projects and take interest in them. I know its preschool but it is an indication of what path we are headed down since projects become a bigger deal in the years to come.
Silly Monkey.
We make the most of it though, as we always do. We try to show him the scrapbook with all his classmates stories of what they did with Toby. We try to tell him what Toby is about. We try. That is all we can do, try.
The assignment is in the effort of the project, not the monkey. You guys keep "learning" as a family and Owen gains from that. That's an A in my book. You guys are inspirational to me. Thanks for the update on this project. You truely are some of the best parents I know!!!!
ReplyDelete