Who knew a therapy session for Owen could turn into such a learning experience for Olivia?
We are always looking for ways to entertain Olivia while we sit in the waiting room at Children's Therapy. They have a great assortment of books but we get though 1 or 2 in less than a minute and she is ready to move on, I bring puzzles for her to do but again they last for a few minutes. I love the warmer months when we can head outside for a walk. Her whole life we have been there 3-4 times a week. The routine and ability to keep her happy has gotten monotonous. And so I give full credit for Olivia's latest favorite thing to Jason since he is the one that started it all with his iPhone.
I never anticipated the results we are seeing. He started out with a flashcard app and she quickly learned all her colors, animals and shapes. And now she takes the quizzes and has mastered them. She names hexagons and pentagons among the typical triangle and stars. She picks out the colors they ask her for, she names all the animals and this week she started identifying her numbers 1 - 10, spot on, every time. Next goal - alphabet!
I Never really thought of using the iPad to help develop learning skills. But it is an AMAZING tool! Not only does it have flashcard apps (most of them free), but they have wonderful speech therapy and other therapy type apps for Owen. His attention span for it isn't quite there like Olivia's yet but I am excited for the opportunity to be able to use it with him.
Would love to hear some of your favorite apps for kids on the iPhone or iPad. I am going to start creating a list on the right of my favs!
On my iPhone I have A Super Why game, which Maria loves. Gives her a chance to trace letters to learn how to write. Also Matching Zoo, just a memory game (+ it was free!)
ReplyDelete