Today is the day we celebrate Down Syndrome. The day to celebrate is march 21st. 6 years ago we didn't know the significance of this day. Today we celebrate the joys that down syndrome brings to our lives. The good and the bad. The ups and the downs. We share it with many friends around the world we would have never had the chance to meet. We share it with our friends, we share it with our family. We have all been touched by an extra chromosome.
Why 3-21? Down Syndrome is 3 copies of the 21st chromosome. A little something extra. To us the extra chromosome equals an amazing result. Owen.
My face might be different
But my feelings the same
I laugh and I cry
And I take pride in my gains
I was sent here among you
To teach you to love
As god in the heavens
Looks down from above
To him I’m no different
His love knows no bounds
It’s those here among you
In cities and towns
That judge me by standards
That man has imparted
But this family I’ve chosen
Will help me get started
For I’m one of the children
So special and few
That came here to learn
The same lessons as you
That love is acceptance
It must come from the heart
We all have the same purpose
Though not the same start
The Lord gave me life
To live and embrace
And I’ll do as you do
But at my own pace.
At his own pace, is the message that we live every day. Some days are hard. Some times it seems like there are things we will never accomplish. But we just have to remember Owen will do everything, at his own pace.
Seven months ago we started the journey of potty training. If you have ever been through it you will know it is trying, it is frustrating, some days you just want to give up and put the diapers back on. But we didn't give up. He didn't stop trying (although there were a few days where we wondered). Many days have passed, many weeks, many months. But we have made it over this hurdle. Owen is now in big boy undies all the time. At home, at daycare, at school, at night. He did it. He doesn't need reminders anymore, he brings himself all on his own. He is completely independent. There wasn't 1 day where we said to ourselves its done. But we have spent the last month saying we don't remember the last accident. We can throw the pull ups away. We can move on from this goal and start a new focus.
It seems like there is always something. But what brightens our spirits is his amazing smile and his ability to turn anything into a rockstar moment. We know he will accomplish anything he wants. He has many supporters helping him climb every incline, every hill and every mountain that is in his way. He will get to the top of them all. At his own pace. All he is asking for is us to have faith in him. For us to be compassionate for others like him. To not be afraid. To be strong for him.

Beautiful post, Krista! I couldn't have said it any better... I love our boys, and I love that I have made such amazing friends along this journey!! Hugs and high fives to Owen ;)
ReplyDeleteTracy and Will
That is wonderful!!!!
ReplyDelete(Love the Spidey undies!) :)
Yeah Owen!!!! Congrats on the huge accomplishment you guys, sounds like the Specht family just got a raise....no more diapers!
ReplyDelete