One thing I love about being a parent is observing my kids. Not just watching what they are doing but really paying attention to all the little things that they do and say. I could do it all day long if they let me. I get so much joy out of it. The whispers, the imagination, the personalities.
For me it is different when I watch Olivia vs. Owen. With Olivia I am usually completely shocked to see and hear the things she has picked up that we haven't taught her. With Owen I get so excited to witness something we have been working on and working on. But regardless I am so amazed of each of them. I love to see how they have matured in their play skills and how they are now starting to expand to play together.
I was putting Olivia to bed a while ago and Owen snuck off downstairs. It was dark, it was quiet and there he was playing with his little legos. So instead of stopping him I pulled out the camera and watched. There are things in here that you may not recognize as a big accomplishments. Mostly because he is 5 and most 5 year old boys do these types of things. But to us, there are things in the video that we witnessed for the first time.
And then there are things that he struggles with and we see them but others may not. He can't quite hold the little pieces with his fingers (the little lego man hats - pay attention to his fingers and how he uses the side of his fingers instead of the finger tips), he can't get the men in and out of the vehicles. But he keeps trying, he asks for help and even though things are hard, he still enjoys himself.
And I love all the talking he is doing. The imagination of how he plays. And his humor - he had me giggling a few times with the things he was coming up with!
No comments:
Post a Comment