fall13 kids

fall13 kids

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Terrible Twos times One Hundred

I don't know what to compare our current situation to other than that of dealing with a 2 year old but times 100 percent. The unfortunate part is I am not talking about Olivia. However, she has provided the typical terrible two behavior to go along with it all.

We dealt with this issue over a year and a half ago with Owen. So bad in fact that we brought in a behavior specialist to try and get past it. We learned some great techniques and understand this behavior so much better but we find ourselves dealing with it again.
I have to say as a parent, dealing with behavior issues has got to be one of the hardest things. Some days I am at my wits end as we just go from time out to time out to time out. He isn't learning from any of it and he continues to get frustrated whenever something doesn't go right. It would be tolerable if it was just a few episodes and there were no physical violence in the process. But unfortunately that is not the case.

Owen's speech therapist has made a great suggestion to start documenting everything. Hoping we can identify a pattern, a response that works, a trigger, a way to get out of this rut. We aren't sure if this is communication issues or if it his being tired or if it truly is him having behavior issues.

So after 1 day of tracking. I have finally realized why we feel so exhausted! Just this evening alone from 5pm - 6:10 pm he had 8 episodes. If you average that out it was every 8 minutes we were dealing with some sort of tantrum. I just feel so bad because we have to watch him get so upset over the smallest of things and we just don't know how to help him.

This kind of stuff is extremely hard to post about. But to be honest it is our life and it is what makes us get through each day. Most of the outside world does not even see a glimpse of this in Owen. In front of others he typically does not act this way. He does well at daycare and school and very rarely acts out at therapy. I hope it's just another phase, hope with school starting in a few weeks he will get back to himself, I hope we can figure it out, I hope it gets better.

I hope it will.

I know it will.

He is just teaching us more lessons we didn't expect to learn.

We love you Owen.

We will get through this together.

No comments:

Post a Comment