fall13 kids

fall13 kids

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

In memory of

Jana Dennison
3/20/1952 - 9/5/2010

My aunt Jana lost her battle with Ovarian Cancer on Sunday. She fought an inspiring fight. Never complained. Never said it wasn't fair. Never said "why me". Never showed anyone how bad it really was. She is now in heaven smiling down on us as we rejoice her. She is no longer in pain. She is no longer suffering. She is still inspiring many.
A true testament to the kind of person she was has been shown all week. Her visitation had over 1200 people. The largest the town has ever seen. The wait to get in was 2 hours as the line wrapped around the funeral home for blocks. If the time was extended I think the line may not have ended as the people just kept coming and coming.
The funeral was amazing. It was held at the corn maze, true to Jana and what she would have wanted. It was perfect weather, a perfect service and surrounded by so much love and support from all the people that have been touched by Jana.

A little story from today and a little example of what kind of impact Jana had on people. This one is special to my heart....
Since Owen was born she has always talked to me about one of her friends that has a daughter who has Down Syndrome and how well she is doing. I finally met them today. I introduced myself to her mom and she told me she has heard stories of Owen as I have heard stories of her daughter through Jana. She shared with me that the day Marissa was born, they were scared and just didn't know who to turn to but they thought to call 1 couple. My Aunt Jana and Uncle Dan. Immediately my Uncle Dan went to see them and my Aunt Jana talked for a long time with her. And the key message she will never forget Jana saying to her, not that she was sorry, not that it was sad, but she is no different than any other kids. Just treat her like your other kids.  She just knew how to be there for her friend.
Countless stories like this were shared all day. About how inspiring she has been to others diagnosed with cancer. About how she had a way with people to make them smile when the needed it and to joke around when you would least expect it.
Her creative ideas, her humor, her wit, her love will be missed beyond words.

Rest in peace Jana, love you.

1 comment:

  1. K, I'm just getting caught up and read this for the first time. Well said!

    I too remember when Marissa was born and how mom and dad both jumped when they received the call. I didn't know what they had said to Marissa's parents until just now. (you may not realize but Marissa was my flower girl). Amazing advice to any parent. Treat and love them the same. I'm so blessed to have received mom's unconditional love. I miss her like crazy. I am so grateful for all that she was to me and continues to be. I focus each day on being the mom and woman she set as an example for all of us.

    You have shown such strength and grace through your parenting. Continued prayers from me to God for you. Love Dee

    ReplyDelete