fall13 kids

fall13 kids

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Trimming the tree

What would the holiday be if not for family traditions?
I remember growing up that even if there wasn't a lot of money to go around, we at least had a the spirit of the season. Somehow my mom and dad always made it special as we shared time between the two houses. But leading up to Christmas is what I remember most. The Christmas music, the house filled with the holiday lights and the Christmas tree that was always nice and plump. Often times falling over and eventually hooked to the wall. We would trek through the snow at the local tree farm to find the one that was just right. Pull it through the back yard and drag all the snow in with a mess of fresh pine needles. And then it was Lisa, Nick and my job to get everything on the tree. Stringing together popcorn. Picking through to find our favorite ornaments. Being together.
I really love this time of year. And as the kids get older it is becoming more and more special to watch them enjoy the traditions we are starting. We may not have the freshly chopped down tree (we tried that a few years ago with Owen. Did.not.go.well) But we have in it's place a beautiful look alike that is no hassle other than plugging the pre-strung lights in. I hope in a few years we can venture out as a family and start bringing a fresh tree in through the back door dragging in the snow and leaving that mess of pine needles.

This years decorating was giggle worthy. As I handed an ornament to each of them, they each took it over to a branch to hang it. Eventually they each had about 10 ornaments on 1 branch each. Next year we will need to work on using other branches. But it is their tree too so I let them decorate as they wanted :)

Owen's side

Olivia's side. She was pointing out her ornaments to Owen.

2 comments:

  1. Love it.
    We are going artificial now since we always head up to Minnesota and don't want to leave a tree to dry out for so long.
    The kids are confused because they saw Paul hauling in the big box and they are like, "That's our whole tree? How does it fit in there?"
    I think it will look pretty just like your beautiful tree! And we'll have the big clump of ornaments on some branches, too!

    ReplyDelete