As a parent we want to give our kids equal attention, equal love, equal encouragement. It is something really hard to juggle as you raise a child with special needs at the same time. A daily struggle to fit it all in. To have the special time and dedication to both. Try to make things fair. Try to treat them the same.
I have listened to a few panel discussions made up of siblings of special needs kids. I learned valuable lessons from those honest discussions. They tell you not to treat the child with special needs any different. Not to give them special treatment against "the rules". Have lots of kids so there is more "help" so one sibling doesn't feel like they will have sole responsibility as they grow older. I obviously left these sessions in tears. Trying to think about it from Olivia's perspective. To make sure if she was ever sitting on one of those panels, she would share a positive experience.
It is something to think about every day. Some days, every minute, every interaction.
Olivia may only be 2 but each day is an influence to get it right. She gets over the hurdles so much easier and quicker than we would ever expect. She has an amazing vocabulary and her ability to grasp concepts makes it even harder to not treat her different and expect more out of her. It is only the beginning of the struggle. It will get harder. But the best part is that Owen and Olivia have the most amazing friendship. A friendship like no other.
We will do our best. That is our promise to both of them.

Yes tear! Ok, that was one of the first questions I had ever asked you when I first wrote you. There love for each other is so evident and it's beautiful!!! Thanks for always being so honest!
ReplyDeleteD