fall13 kids

fall13 kids

Sunday, October 24, 2010

school

Can you tell it is blog catch up day? Sorry, it has been a busy few weeks!


Owen's regular preschool had their conferences a few weeks ago. They told me not to worry about going since I would be meeting with his full team in a few weeks. But I never miss a chance to check in with teachers when they give us the opportunity. So I went. But now thinking back, I probably shouldn't have!
It was a disaster to say the least. Jason was out of town so I attempted it on my own. The session before me just got there when my time slot started so I had to sit an listen to their conference first. The teacher went on and on about how great that student is and how ahead of everyone they were, etc. Then came my turn and she had very little to say. Told me that academically Owen was doing well and proceeded to show me the assessments she has done so far..colors, body parts, shapes. (warning #1 went off in my head) I asked her how he was doing socially and she couldn't really answer my questions (warning #2 went off). I could tell she really hasn't engaged with him. I also noticed Owen's booklet she was going over with me had "threes" on the front cover and there was a whole other table with "fours" booklets (warning #3 went off).
Then as we are talking she just stands up and comes around the table to stand next to me. I guess that was my cue to get out. So I left. Pretty disappointed. But I didn't want to bring it up there. I needed to cool down and process what just went on.

After talking it over with Jason he agreed with my suspicion. Owen was placed in a younger class. The things they are focusing on are things he learned 2 years ago. He aced his assessment because he learned those things the first year he was in the program. It is like he is starting pre-school where he was 2 years ago. Not the expectation I had going into this year. We would want him pushed harder right before kindergarten not a review of what was done before. Ugh.

Needless to say I called his school on Monday morning to have a chat about the situation. His Special Ed teacher is sort of like the team lead for this kind of stuff so she called me back after she learned I left a message with the director :) (turns out the director is her husband) She told me she completely understood why I would think that he was being held back. Thanks. But he wasn't really moved back a level, he just happens to be placed in a class with mostly 3 year olds. We went back and forth quite a bit here as I explained I don't want him learning the things he learned before. She made sure to let me know they will be focusing on the goals we have in place for his IEP. He was placed where he is mostly because of where the other ECSE kids are at. He has to be placed with them first because that group goes into the regular classroom together. And they happen to be younger but they are a good group based on behavior and social needs. But we will go over everything at his IEP meeting to make sure that we all agree that Owen is in the appropriate setting.

Yes. I am glad I went to the conference because I feel like I know more than I have been told in the past. I know to be more aware now of what is going on. I just wish they would have included us in the decisions about placement. I should know more after our big meeting on the 5th.

Just wish everything didn't have to be so challenging!

No comments:

Post a Comment