fall13 kids

fall13 kids

Thursday, October 14, 2010

hard to say goodbye

I think it would be good if last week didn't happen. If all the decisions and results that came out of it just never occurred. So many life changing events. Nothing earth shattering but change none-the-less. I don't mind change. I just don't like it when it happens all at once. And I don't like it when it means we lose a team member, we need surgery or we need additional services.

But it is what it is. And what it is makes us grow stronger and appreciate things even more....

Owen started Children's Therapy Center with Anne his speech therapist in 2007. His school services were not giving us what we needed. And everyone we talked to told us, go see Anne! So off to Anne we went. And 3+ years later we still see Anne 2 days a week. Until November 1st, Anne is moving. To say I was bummed is a bit of an understatement. Owen has no idea but I know if he knew he too would be upset.
Finding a good therapist is hard. We have had our share of them. But to us, you have to be more than just a therapist of speech or physical work or occupational tasks, you become part of our team. We don't just drop Owen off and away he goes to "get better". It's about communication. It's about how much you care how well he does. It's pushing him beyond his limits. It's about working together to make a difference in his life. You have to make it a team effort.

Anne you will always be a part of our team, even though you are too many miles away to meet him twice a week. Owen has learned great things from you and would not be where he is without all of your hard work, your love for him and your dedication to him.


For those of you who do not know Anne. I will tell you she is an amazing advocate for anyone for special needs and was even nominated this year for the Eleven Who Care award. Well deserved.
Here is a link to that story:
http://www.kare11.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=214522633001

We have been blessed to have you part of our lives Anne. We will miss you beyond words but wish you the best in your new adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment