fall13 kids

fall13 kids

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Summer Vacation

It wouldn't be summer without a trip to Izatys.
The last few years we have been lucky enough to have the whole family go up together over the 4th of July. And when I say whole family, I mean it. My mom & PJ, brother Nick and family, sister Lisa & family, my Dad and Stepmom, Sisters Erin & Anna, Brothers Ryan & Matt (he missed this year). One big happy fabulous family. Nothing better. The kids have a blast having everyone together. Some people get to stay the whole time, some come and go but it is quite an experience.
This year was no exception. The weather was beyond fabulous. We spent time alternating between the kiddie pool in the back yard, the big pool at the club house, golf cart rides, boat trips, games, golf, bonfires. good times.

   

    
A few memorable moments from this trip...
- Olivia is now brave enough to jump in the pool and brave enough to swim on her own (with floaties).
- My brother Nick's phone call to EJ's. - A bit of an inside joke here....
- Time spent with family.
- Mallory and Olivia forming such a bond
- Need to teach the kids that if they want to "help drive" the golf cart, they should only be allowed to steer. No using the gas pedal! Narrowly avoided a trip into the lake (Owen), and taking out Mykaela, Lisa & Marshall as they tried to get in the cart as it was taking off (Mallory).
- My brother Ryan sleeping out in the tent only to be woken up by the sprinklers going off at 4:30 am - should have probably put the rain protector on the tent.

Our trips away from home are always a bit of an adventure with Owen.
Out of routine. Away from the safety measures of home. Knowing others around to allow him to do what he wants. All of these things often lead to a bit of stress and a bit of chaos.
The weekend didn't start out well when the first thing he did was run towards the lake without anyone with him. Of course when I yell stop, it makes him run faster. And when I catch him and tell him no, he has a melt down. The first day was one melt down after another, hitting me, spitting at me, yelling at me. I thought I was in for a disaster of a weekend. I took him aside into a bedroom, tried for some quiet time which he fought. It ended up with me restraining him by doing a full bear hug for 15 minutes of him trying to get away and it ended with him crying, me crying, him saying sorry. And then it was over. He was better.
The rest of the weekend he had his moments but nothing like the first day.
I worry so much about him wandering off. It is a constant sense that he is missing when we aren't within our home. I know my family has started to also feel my worry. This year people would notice him outside and make sure I knew. Instead of hearing me constantly say "Where's Owen" they were now telling me before I asked. It was VERY helpful. Although you can feel like you are watching him every second it is almost impossible with that many people around. What makes it even more difficult is we didn't bring our child locks to make sure he wouldn't get out during the night. I have learned my lesson on that and will now be bringing them with. He made his way outside at 6 am one morning. Past Jason who was sleeping in the bed next to him, past me on a couch right by the outside door and into the tent with uncle Ryan outside. Luckily Ryan was outside otherwise who knows where he would have gone!

Now I just need a vacation ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment