The most valuable players on this team are all of them. We wrapped up our regular season last weekend with another tie game. Always a tie. This week instead of having one of the other little league teams from Lakeville Baseball be the buddies, the kids got the chance to play with the real Elko Express team.
They interacted so well with the kids. One of my favorite parts about this league is seeing this kind of impact.
I remember the first few days after we brought Owen home from the hospital, I was folding his onsies and putting them in his dresser. I got to the ones that said Future Quarterback, MVP, All Star...And it made me cry. I didn't think Owen would ever get a chance to be those things. It made me sad thinking about the future of what opportunities he wouldn't have. I just wish I could go back and tell myself about all the opportunities he would have. And how much more proud we would be of these little moments.
The moments of him stepping up to the plate on his own to swing at the ball.
The moments of him running across home plate. And seeing his buddy cheer him on.
The moments of making great friendships.
The moments of seeing him touch people's hearts that would have least expected it.
It isn't just about baseball. It is about the moments. The opportunities. The growth we have seen in just a few weeks. He will always be our MVP.

MVP for sure! I never knew what to expect when we all found out that day in the hospital. I knew nothing about down syndrome - I just knew that I loved him no matter what! He could not have turned out any better and I credit you and Jason for how great he's doing and the amazing opportunities we're all having <3 <3
ReplyDelete