fall13 kids

fall13 kids

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Words.Phrases.Sentences

Lately the evidence of what we have been missing has been getting more and more prominent. We've never really known that "kids say the darnest things" type of stuff. We've never experienced those little conversations back and forth and giggles about understanding things in a certain way.
It is literally beyond words to understand that experience with your child. And with Olivia we are there. We are so there and back. It is constant talking and conversing and repeating and giggling with inflection and tone and cute high pitches.

I absolutely love it.

But I miss it with Owen. And that makes me sad.

It makes me sad to think that by the time he gets the to point were he is talking like that, it won't be as cute and playful but more grown up and to the point. But the reality is that he is talking way beyond where we thought he would be and we so grateful for that. Grateful that he can express his feelings in a much better way than hitting. Grateful that we can have conversations in a different way. We may have to fill in the blanks and ask him a lot of questions to make sure we understand but there is communication and he has come a long way. And I know he wouldn't be where he is without such great experience with Anne for so many years.

There are so many times that Olivia will say things and Jason and I just have to look at each other in amazement. Not necessarily for the content but the structure. We just aren't use to it. On Monday she said "Owen, look what I did" as she just finished putting a puzzle together. She is beyond the nouns and labeling and into full on sentences. We just don't expect that kind of language around here.

Appreciate all that your kids can do and cherish those moments because not everyone gets them. Not just riding a bike without training wheels but forming sentences, putting together their first puzzle on their own, drawing a circle, using their imagination, walking down stairs. It.is.all.a.big.deal.

3 comments:

  1. So true. It's easy to take the little things for granted. Thanks for reminding me to take a breath and appreciate all of them :) I love reading your posts, they are always inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Krista, you help me always realize that the little and BIG things Tyce does and always big. We love Owen and his sister. I love to see how much they learn from each other. Thanks for always sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies. Your words mean a lot to me!

    ReplyDelete