Kindergarten has brought some unexpected challenges for our schedule. Since we chose a full day program, it means school starts in the morning and doesn't end until 4pm. So we can't fit in our Friday AM PT sessions with Rachel anymore. She felt confident that he is in a good place for the school year so for now we will be taking a break. I am afraid of trying to fit in too many activities after school. So since he still needs to keep his speech and OT after school 2 days a week, a 3rd day for PT just isn't in the cards.
Rachel has been working with Owen since before he could walk. She has a great way of working through his temperament, his stubbornness and his charm. I remember when we had been going to Gillette's the therapists there just didn't know the trick. They needed to keep Owen having fun or he would charm his way out of it and not get anything done.
Not many people get to see what PT for kids is like. So I brought my camera in for one of his recent sessions to share. You would be amazed to understand what each of these activities are actually doing for Owen. The best part is they are so much fun until he gets tired.
This is a really hard one for Owen. Standing on one leg before stepping on the launcher. I may have to invest in something like this at home so we can keep practicing.
Rachel - You got my little man to walk. You have made him stronger. You have put up with many of his fits with Love. You are and always will be part of our family. Thanks for all you have done.
*****
We will never be able to replace private PT. But we are still looking for ways to improve on strength and endurance. We have decided on gymnastics...
I have done my research. We toured different places to see which environment and which coaches we thought would be a good fit. They also had to fit into our weekend schedule and within a good driving distance. A lot of qualifactions to pass for sure!
It is stressful making these decisions. I know we can leave at anytime but the investment of time and energy to find the right fit is what makes it hard. Tonight I am relieved to say that I am soooo happy with what we picked.
We opted to do some private sessions for Owen to get him acclimated with the concepts and enviornment. The coach was FANTASTIC. She has expereince working with another child with DS. So she knew perfectly how to handle him and she did it all in stride. These things make my heart swell to meet people like this. I wanted to hug her after she worked just 30 minutes with him. But held back because I don't want to scare her off ;)
The best part for our family, Olivia will also be joining Owen in the gym so she will finally get to come from behind the window of watching Owen play and get to do her own playing.
If anyone south of the river is looking for a SN program. They said they would offer one if they had enough interest. It is the IGM in burnsville, let me know!
If anyone south of the river is looking for a SN program. They said they would offer one if they had enough interest. It is the IGM in burnsville, let me know!
How awesome that Owen is graduating from PT! I worked with Rachel in the past and she is amazing! Owen looks great. Good luck in gymnastics!
ReplyDelete