fall13 kids

fall13 kids

Thursday, August 25, 2011

change is good. right?

change is good. change is good. change is good.
I think if I keep repeating that, it will mean it will all turn out the way we need it to. I am hopeful.
But still, so much change at once is a big leap from our comfort zone.

Our comfort zone has consisted of 3-4 therapy sessions a week at children's therapy center. It sometimes meant traveling 40+ minutes for 30 minutes of therapy. It meant he was getting the best care and we continued to see big improvements. But with that it meant we had to sacrifice our time as a family in the evenings. To rush to get him from daycare to get him to therapy in time. To then rush home get dinner and ready for bed. It has been a crazy balance but we know for the last 4 years it has been the best we can provide for Owen.

A new medical building has opened within a mile and a half from our house. Jason happened to be scheduled to "work" there one week. He took a look at the clinic list and saw they had a pediatric therapy center in the building. A month ago I was trying to figure out how to get Owen's school schedule to match his therapy schedule. It was going to a pretty tight week to make it work. I called the new clinic to find out what their schedule looked like. They had 0 openings but were taking names for their waiting list. They asked what services we needed. I laughed and said all. They chuckled back. I was not optimistic that they would have any openings that would fit within our needed times. So I was just prepared to make the situation we are in work.

And then I received a call today. A call that made my head spin with the change that would ensue. The new clinic "capable kids" has an opening. And they can fit our needs into 1 days worth of sessions. I have already toured their facility. It is amazing. It is new. It has the best opportunities for us to watch Owen's sessions. My biggest concern now is will the therapists be able to meet our expectations. They have some really high standards to live up. I had to make a decision today or his spot would have been gone.

In less than a week and a half Owen will be in a new school for a full day and he will have a whole new set of therapists helping guide him, support him and strengthen him.

Next week is going to be a rough week as we say goodbye. Goodbye to our second home for the last 4 years. It isn't just an adjustment for Owen. It will be an adjustment for all of us. Owen's ST, OT and PT therapists have not just been helping Owen, they have also helped us as a family. Always there to brainstorm ideas. Always there to talk through behavior challenges and give recommendations. There to recognize Olivia's big accomplishments and be supportive of family that has a dad that travels frequently. It goes beyond a medical clinic to a family. A family we are going to miss big time. They have promised they will still be a part of our lives, and I promise them I am going to hold them to it!
Rachel, Christine, Ruth & Anne, thank you for all that you have done for us. Thank you for loving Owen and helping him be the best he can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment