Wondering what a4cwsn is? Apps for children with special needs....
I learned about this initiative just a few weeks ago through my amazing DS family. It was started by a dad, who has kids with special needs. He has done some amazing work to help other families. I have found so many great apps from this as well as a few free ones. He works with developers to get them to give our families codes to get a free downloads or discounts. It's a bit of a game because they are in limited supply. The group also gives reviews on what is good, videos showing demonstrations and ideas based on what type of thing you are looking for. You can find it at http://www.a4cwsn.com/. There are tons of educational apps there as well so it isn't just limited to a special needs focus. There is also a special FB page for it too, like it and you will see all the free stuff available. IT IS SOOOO WORTH IT!
Sometimes paper just isn't enough. Pointing to pictures and trying to make it interesting often causes a melt down, refusals and a very frustrating experience. We all know kids like computers and games. So put the 2 together and we now have some amazing opportunities. When we got our iPad, I didn't really know the impact it could have. We have apps to teach sounds, apps to work on fine motor pinching and drawing and finger isolation, apps to identify numbers, apps to count, apps to match and apps to work on word comprehension just to name a few. All the apps are fun. They think they are playing a game but actually it is helping them learn and even develop some skills.
It isn't a substitute for learning. It is just another method. I am always there - sitting side by side working with them. Trying to make it fun.
There was an opportunity to sign up to be a part of the a4cwsn "team". To be a part of the APPvisory board. I jumped at the chance, filled out a form telling them why I thought I should be chosen. Today they picked the group of 300 out of 1100+ entries. It means you get to test out new apps and provide feedback to the developers. What works, what doesn't, what would we recommend to help others. Thankfully I got picked. I am officially on the "board". I get to represent ways to help our kids. It also means we will get more opportunities to try apps that may work for Owen and also share the knowledge with others. Yay!
I can't imagine when opportunities to help our kids were few and far between. I am excited to live in a time when these types of things are out there. To be able to connect with families around the world that I have never met but share tips on how to better the lives of our kids with an extra chromosome. I couldn't imagine doing what we do without all the resources we have.
If I give Owen a crayon to color he refuses. But if I give him an iPad to draw a picture he jumps at the chance.
No comments:
Post a Comment