But we have the benefit of IEP meetings so we get the extra special attention to these types of transitions.
Visits need to be done. Observations need to be made. Decisions to decide upon. That is our task for the next few months. We will have the official Kindergarten transition team meeting in April but we really need to determine what our plan is prior to that.
See things are a bit different for us. Thankfully we have options. Not all school districts have options. So we are the lucky ones.
The options are:
A. Send him to the neighborhood school. Our daycare neighborhood school as well as our own school both do not have any services available to help Owen 1-1 for tasks which would give him extra support in meeting his goals.
B. Continue for another year at the school he is at (they have a kindergarten program). It is 2.5 hours of school a day. He would be pulled out of the class to work on his goals. But he would be in the regular kindergarten classroom.
C. Go to a school in our district that has a special program for special needs and have him participate in a regular kindergarten class for a full day. This would give him opportunity to go back and forth between rooms based on what needs he would have. There would also be a para in the kindergarten room to help him with tasks as he needs it.
Option C is what we are leaning towards but I need to see for myself what it looks like. We like the idea that it is full day program so he gets more opportunity to participate in the kindergarten class.
I am thankful to be able to plan this far in advance to get the opportunity to do my homework. I know Owen would do great with any option. But we need to determine where he will be best. Nothing but the best for this boy!

I don't know if you want opinions or not, but here's mine. I think the only thing that might make a difference between B & C would be how Owen would do all day as opposed to the 2.5 hrs. You know him best, and I'm thinking that probably after he gets used to it there wouldn't be a problem, but I just thought I'd mention it.
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
Love the picture!
Noni