fall13 kids

fall13 kids

Monday, December 12, 2011

It isn't always about learning your ABCs

At the beginning of the school year I worried we hadn't prepared Owen enough. He wasn't ready for reading, math programs, science, writing and knowing his ABCs. I was so worried about how behind he is. Each week this worry gets pushed a little further away. The worry is there, we still push him to try to keep up. But I have learned in the last few months what is really important right now. Right now for Owen, it isn't about knowing his ABCs. It is about building relationships. Making the right choices. Being a good partner. Communicating in the right way. That is where he is thriving and I am so excited to see this because it is something very positive to focus on. We don't always get to focus on the things that are going well. Mostly the conversations are about the struggles and trying to solve the problems. But it seems that if we shift this focus it gets a little less overwhelming.
I am not sure I would be able to make this shift without the help of his teacher Mrs. Schnackenberg. So if you are reading this Susan, thank you for opening my eyes to this. Your daily emails are always so positive. Always a perspective that reminds us what he is doing well. Sometimes there is a bad report, but it is in a tone that makes it seem like no big deal. But I know my Owen, and I know he can be tough to handle sometimes ;)
He has a few kiddos in his class that are always on his daily report as sitting next to him at a program or playing with him at free choice. He is making some long lasting friends. Opening their hearts to the differences he has. One of them is a little girl named Olivia. She motivates Owen, she watches out for Owen. Sometimes reminding him but always being a good role model for him. We invited her to his birthday party but unfortunately she has plans. She was pretty disappointed so her mom sent me a note asking if they could have Owen over to their house to play. She wanted to give him a little gift and to spend a little extra time with him.
It was one of those emails where my heart stopped. It was that moment of acceptance that I have always worried about. It came unexpectedly for me. It may just be kindergarten but it really is the beginning of the journey. Olivia may not know the impact she has on him but we do. And we are so thankful to have her as Owen's friend.

How did he do? About how I expected. I let him play there by himself. I stayed for a few minutes then left him there. He of course wasn't nervous or didn't get shy or sad when I said I was leaving. He just waved, said bye mom and told me "Merry Christmas". They played for a little over an hour and then I picked him up. He didn't want to go home but then finally understood it was time to go. He still doesn't understand the concept of boundaries or manners all too well so he was all over their house. Upstairs, downstairs, in everyone's bedroom you name it, he explored it. Thankfully Olivia's parents were very understanding and just went with it.
A simple gesture of a playdate has gone a long way for Owen and for us. It has opened our eyes to the potential of being treated just like everyone else. He is after all more alike than different.

I am thankful for times like these where we have such good things to think about. To know that things are going well. To know he is doing well with something. To put one of our worries away for a while.

1 comment:

  1. What an exciting piece of news!! It is wonderful to see that Owen is making friends and that they and their parents are willing to accept Owen's little quirks. With relationships comes help in a loving way, a friendly way. That is so cool!!
    It sounds like you have sent out invitations to Owen's birthday party, did you send one to us? I hope so, even tho' we won't be able to come, it is nice to get your creative invitations!
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete